Washington D.C. 25 January 2023 – Dr. Jarbas Barbosa, Director-elect of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), will be sworn in during a ceremony at the headquarters of the Organization of American States (OAS) in Washington D.C. next Tuesday 31 January 2023.
Dr. Barbosa, a national of Brazil, was elected by PAHO Member States in September 2022 during the 30th Pan American Sanitary Conference.
He will begin his five-year term on 1 February 2023, succeeding Dr. Carissa F. Etienne of Dominica, who has led the organization since 2012.
The ceremony will begin at 11:00 a.m EST and will include the following interventions:
- Carissa Etienne, outgoing Director of PAHO
- Nisia Trinidade Lima, Minister of Health of Brazil
- Xavier Becerra, Secretary of Health and Human Services of the United States
- Luis Almagro, Secretary General of the OAS
- Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director General of the World Health Organization (WHO)
- Carlyle de Macedo, Sir George Alleyne, and Mirta Roses, Directors Emeritus of PAHO
- and Molwyn Joseph, Minister of Health, Wellness & the Environment of Antigua and Barbuda
The ceremony will be available via livestream on the PAHO website. Journalists wishing to attend in-person must request accreditation from email@example.com by Friday 27 January.